Local Pastoral or Ministry Leader
Most medical missions start with an established local church or ministry leader.
This person is the main contact who can communicate adequately in English and is dependable to follow through with the Logistics (below) and is trustworthy as a Christian leader
There should be an understanding from the beginning of the medical mission planning as to what the spiritual emphasis is or will be.
For example, is this outwardly evangelistic where prayer will be held with each person prior to seeing the physician? The reason is that this would also impact the number of people needed to meet and pray with people, the space needed, the chairs, etc.
This is vitally important to the purpose of the mission which will be the driving motivation for your team members.
These details are usually mutually decided upon with the local leader as most of the time they will have to decide based on the cost of each item.
You, as the leader, need to decide what would be best for the individuals on your team, taking into consideration safety, health, and comfort.
Items to consider:
- Clinic site or Hospital – establish a safe and appropriate location and secure the clinic dates
- Translators needed for MD, DDS, Pharmacy, counseling/prayer, VS
- Ground Transportation – team, locals, luggage, equipment, food, etc
- Food + cook(s) to prep food and clean up
- Sightseeing / Shopping (usually allow ½ or whole day)
- Equipment – chairs, tables, signs, water for dentists and for team to drink
- Local MD / DDS – to join us on the medical mission – always good to invite!
- Visa Requirement – every country differs in their rules